Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lion Country Safaris in Florida.  We had never been and decided that we would check it out.  It's basically a drive through safari experience.  We however, signed up for the VIP Tour.  The Wildlife Director of the park took us on a personal behind the scenes tour.  Our first stop-- to see, and touch the new (2 week old) baby white rhino.  What an amazing experience.  I was very impressed with how clam the mom and baby were.
She is just the cutest little thing.


Mom came over for a sniff and scratch.  Her skin was as rough as it looks.  Our guide was saying that their outer skin is 3 inches thick in spots.

Isn't she a beauty? 

This is my son getting to touch the baby!  The photo quality isn't great because I was just too excited.  I was like a little kid!

Mama's checking up on her baby.  It looks like she's kissing her but really she's just smelling and making little huffing sounds.  I was impressed with how gentle they were.  By far gentler than some horses I've been around.  They love to be scratched behind their ears.  It is soo sad that they are slaughtered for their horns.   Our guide was saying that poaching of these beautiful animals reached one the highest points ever last year.

BTW-- a large portion of the animals in this park are rescued from people buying them for pets or to raise on a farm-- they tend to forget how big these animals get & that they are wild animals.

6 comments:

  1. So adorable!! Almost makes me want to adopt one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am insanely jealous! What a wonderful experience---I would jump on that in a heartbeat. She IS an adorable little thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like so much fun! (despite the sadder part on the poaching/pets).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing opportunity! I love that eye picture, such a rich brown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! That baby is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You captured some great images!Sweet, Sweet, Sweet!!!!

    ReplyDelete